Ed and I have always enjoyed our times at a rodeo. Ed grew up with horses, on the farm, in cowboy country. He grew up just outside of Ponoka, home to the second largest rodeo in Canada. On our honeymoon we stayed overnite in Calgary, and went to the Calgary Stampede. My first taste of the Calgary Stampede.
I will never forget having the privilege of getting on a horse on the Turner land and helping drive the cattle across a few fields and to there new location. That was an experience I will never forget. I rode with Ed's Brother Bill and their dad.
I married into such a different lifestyle. I got used to taking rides with the guys to check the fields (crops), go to the different fields to give water and food to the cattle. So many things were different. Before Ed and I were married, I even rode on the tractor with Ed while he was spreading manure. YUK. There was no cab with a roof. I can't believe I did that.
I got to experience milking cows with Ed and his dad. Ed's dad had so much patience with showing me . Far later on, I learned that my dad in one of his talks with Ed's dad, had asked him to look out for me. Of course I grew up in Michigan, And I now was on the farm in Alberta.
Our Little girl (Suzanne) was born in the hospital in Ponoka during the (Ponoka Stampede).
In the same hospital as her dad. We got to experience the Ponoka Stampede a few plus times.
God had such a different world for Colleen to experience so many years ago. He said, Colleen, I'm gonna take to to a new part of the world. You're gonna learn a new way. Sunny days will no longer mean to get the swim suit out, it will mean good weather for preparing the fields, and planting. It will mean that if the tractor breaks down on a rainy day, that there will be trips into town for parts, and working on that tractor in the shed. Snow will not be a good thing when crops are still on the ground.
So many years I have been in Canada now, many more than I was in Michigan. I have missed so much time with my sisters, and needing to spend time with them. God knows how much I have missed them. I love them so much. It makes me cry just thinking about it. God knows my heart, and has seen it ache.
Rodeo?? Yes that is one very awesome thing that God has brought into my life, with my husband and my kids. Thank You God!!
Just a little side note, if you have the chance to attend one, HANG ON to you Newley bought
Tim Hortons extra large decaffeinated black coffee!! Don't set it down, and maybe take a few extra large Kleenex to mop up your HUGE spill while you weep for your newly bought extra large black decaffeinated coffee. Maybe say a small prayer for the people to not come to the seat in front of you, till you get it mopped up...
Sunday, April 27, 2014
Week End At The Rodeo
Posted by
"Dat Wascally Wabbit"
at
10:48 PM


5 comments:
Nice post, Colleen!
My goodness, this post is along ways back! I didn't realize you had blogged again, or I woulda checked back here sooner!
P.S. I really enjoy the rodeo too! Since moving to Texas, I've been there many times.
Ya, God moved you into a totally different world there in Texas. Definately cowboy country. It's good to see you in jeans and cowboy hats, a very relaxed outfit.
Thanks Jeannie for coming back to me on my post.
Is anyone in here?
Anyone still interested in blogging?
Post a Comment