
It's been such a whirlwind week for "dis wascally wabbit". I walked into my department on Monday morning to learn that my department manager had walked out the front door, not to return. My department was buried under tons of new stock, and a call was coming from the back of the store for cosmetics to come to recieving with a cart, for more stock. In the midst of very quickly putting all this stock out, different assistant managers were coming to me and asking, "did you apply"?? I was aware that our department was coming up very quickly for a new department manager, but not "on the spot", like had just happened. My own manager, Sue, kept telling me to go for it. She said, "I know you can do it". You just need more faith in yourself. In addition, my previous assistant manager over our department was saying the same thing to me.
Two and a half years ago, "nearly", I had walked into Wal-Mart, and had the awsome privilidge of being placed into the cosmetics department, (the department I had started out in when I first walked into a department store, in my senior year, while taking Retail as my "Major". As some of you remember, not that long ago I had written a poem about the cosmetics department being given to "Me", "My Very Own Department". in the Wal-Mart Store. Cosmetics department was my main goal, when I wasn't runnin to the "carrots", (the jewelry department). At that point I never had the question run thru my mind as to one day being "The Manager of that Cosmetics Counter!
Dis Wascally Wabbit has not felt very much faith in herself for the last few years. My esteem took a down turn when we moved away from Thorhild, into the PRBI College. I would never have believed I would not feel like I could handle the kitchen in the College. Actually in effect it was really that no one took the time to really walk with me thru, and be that help and encouragement. lWhat a disappointment! It may sound funny to you, but not to "dis wascally wabbit". I have cried buckets of tears over the last 3 years, Of course, losing mom helped there.
Here I am at the "Wal-Mart Store" in Grand Prairie Alberta, and everyone is waiting to see me get my little Cosmetic Department! They know I love my little department, and they all have more faith in me than I have. My brain for the last few weeks has done alot of heavy thinking about things, because I knew my manager was indeed leaving to go elsewhere, soon. Can I do it?? Do I dare try?? What if I fail this test?? In fact I finally said it outlloud to my department manager one day, "I think I am just afraid I will flunk the test"! And then I will have to leave my little department! She looked at me, and said, "what do you mean, leave?? All you do is step back down, and continue what you are doing now.
Years ago in Uranium City, we had a Ken Campbell, Jim Reese Crusade. And at that crusade, I was in the choir, and one of our main songs was, "Bloom Where You're Planted". And of course that speaks volumnes. I don't think I need to explain what that means to anyone. But God does place us in specific areas, and He does expect us to live out our Christian Lives. We are to "Bloom Where We're Planted. He has us there for a reason.
The Wal-Mart Store is my garden in where I have had the chance to "Bloom", and the real test starts now. Only God knows how it will go, but I expect He wouldn't have given me this opportunity if He didn't know I could do it. I mentioned that Monday morning I learned about my manager walking out? By Wednesday evening after work, I had my assistant manager extend his hand to me and shake mine, and say "Congratulations Colleen". No big interview meeting, no "rakeing me over the coals", no asking me, "are you sure you can do this"?? Just a handshake, and congratulations. Wow!!!!
Am I walking on air?? Yes!!
Am I alittle scared? Yes!!
Am I excited?? Yes!!
Wow!! Double Wow!! Yesterday I completed my first day as Department Manager.
Please pray for me!! I t will be a challange and a half. But I "am" up to the challange.
Friday, October 20, 2006
Bloom Where You're Planted
Posted by
"Dat Wascally Wabbit"
at
7:27 PM

13 comments:
Such pretty roses. Next year in the spring you will be blessed two fold(they should double in size) as long as you trim off the old buds. Good luck, they are so nice. Love Ya
Colleen,you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I love you and am so thrilled that you have been promoted to a management position.You have what it takes to be manager.Just remember to ask the Lord for strength to learn all the ins and outs of the job.I have lots of faith in you.The Lord is good.
you'll do just fine mom, just remember it's the same thing you've been doing for 2 1/2 years, just a different title and better hours and pay
Yep!! That's right, I will keep reminding myself that. I don't know if the early hour is better, but the earlier afternoon hour is better, when I can officially clock out. Dad and I will be traveling together alot of the time, to save on gas. There will definately be days where I come home ahead of him, tho. Yea!!!
Colleen,
I remember that crusade, and I have never forgotten that song.
Congratulations on the job promotion!
Congratulations on your new responsibility. I know you will do great. You have been planted there for a reason. You are blooming, that is what you are supposed to do. Sometimes God puts us in a little over our head so we know we have to trust Him. I am real happy for the opportunity that has come your way.
Larry
Colleen,
Congratulations on your promotion. I know you will do just fine as a manager. Sometimes God puts us in places that we think are a little over our heads just to remind us we need to depend on Him. I am really glad for you.
Larry
Happy,Happy Birthday.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hearts and Roses everywhere for you on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you Colleen very much.Please put your right hand on your left shoulder,your left hand on your right shoulder and squeeze with all your might.That is my hug to you.Of course be careful where you do it cause you might turn a few heads.Hee Hee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your comment JoAnn. It put a smile on my face. I haven't heard from you for awhile. But then, you haven't heard from me either. My oh My (hee hee)
That's cool that my blog sparked mamories. Thank's
Colleen
Thank's Larry for your comments on my post. I appreciate your encourageing comments. There will definately be those days I will wonder if I should have my head examined for taking on the extra, as the manaager.
I will try to try to remember all those good days that I have.
Yea!! It's almost our birthday!! Hipp Horay!! Thank's Dianne, I almost forgot that it is just around the corner. My oh My! Thanks for your comment on making the coffee. It was pretty funny, but at the moment, I was just so tired that it didn't make sense why it wasn't poring out.
It did make for a pretty funny few moments! (Hee Hee)
I wish they would start coming up with easier spellings in this here box. It makes it pretty funny when I don't have my glasses on. I try 3 or 4 times sometimes!
Oh Wascal!
How incwedibly fun to dwop in here for lunch today and read about your promotion at WalMart! For some reason, I still can't walk into WalMart here in Ontario without seeing you in my mind's eye behind your cosmetic counter out there in Alberta!
I also noticed that congratulations are in order -- another grandchild on the way!! Wow! The pixs of that little family are so sweet! They truly look like a happy foursome!
And Happy (belated) Birthday to you and Eagle-Eye!
Thank's Carol-Ann! I have survived my first 2 weeks as the manager of the cosmetic department It has definately been a huge challange. Giving that I have worked by myself doing everything, putting out tons of stock, After no one was there on the weekends, And learning my manager responsibilities.
Yep! Another grand baby on the way. I am excited!
Post a Comment