Saturday, December 17, 2005

Are All The Children In?

My Mom
So many memories, so many tears--
Her papa taken away on her 14th year--
Taken away from Barbara Jean--
A "PK", she had always been.

She was the tom-boy of the two;
In fact, a girl called "Tommy", as she grew--
Nicknamed as her papa's "son"--
The son her papa never knew.

Always chasing boys and climbing trees,
Must have kept her parents on their knees.
And Sister Mollie always asking
Couldn't you just be quiet, please?

Harmonious music was her love,
Placed in her heart by God above.
Her fingers played; her strong voice sang--
From deep inside, sweet melodies rang.

Carried on to babies in her womb,
She lullabyed them as they grew.
Soon music and harmony--they all learned,
Passed down from the papa she once knew.

She instilled within them the joy of her heart--
Harmony and rhythm--each one singing a part.
Always a melody winging it's way,
Helping her children to get through the day.

As Mom's lips were silent in her final night,
And hearts were heavy in dimness of light,
Once again it was music that rang in the room
Helping her children to get through the gloom.

Holding her hand, smiling and singing,
Talking of things past and things yet ahead..
Sitting through the night, just holding on tight.
Please don't let go, Mom..no, not quite yet.

So many feelings that tug at my heart;
The kids aren't all in yet--please don't depart.
Some on the road and some on a plane.
Wondering will they ever see you again?

In that tense room we all wait--
Watching her breathe is no easy state.
A room full of beds where the family can fall,
While watching and waiting for Mom's final call,

Calling her home--for Mom it's all gain,
Some are excited--others just in pain,
Hearts full of love and family devotion,
But heavily laden with unworked-thru emotion.

She has our permission to walk thru the door
Yet, so much emotion..still unaccounted for.
I'm not ready to lose you, Mom--how my heart aches,
Though I know you'll leave us by dawn's early break.

I continue to hold on and don't want to let go.
My head and my heart being pulled to and fro!
How can I help her through the door just ahead,
When so many things are still left unsaid.

Deep, inner sorrow, whether wanted or not--
Such mixed emotions that just won't stop!
Jeannie's excited--God's taking her home
But I already miss her and feel left all alone!

Can I let her go? My heart says, No!
Aching, emptiness, loneliness, silence,
Fear of being left behind, so far apart,
Left only with a weary, aching heart.

How do I do this? How do I carry on?
I know it's God's strength I must lean upon,
In His loving kindness I should place my trust.
I don't want her to leave--though I know she must.

So I just keep holding her hand in mine,
Singing to her, talking to her all the time,
Saying, "I love you, Mom: I will miss you, Mom;
Please try to hang on a little while longer, Mom.

Aunt Mollie, so gently stroking her hair,
Singing sweetly, talking softly--her last chance to share
Reminding her precious sister of days gone by,
With a heart full of love, a tear slips from her eye.

The clock being watched, anxious voices kept low,
Will they make it in time? Only God knows--
It's His timing and authority the angels listen for.
"The plane is now in!"--the youngest son walks in the door.

"Are the kids all in?", Mom's eyes ask once more,
No, Mom, one more family is still on the road.
Even knowing they probably won't make it in time,
Still they press onward--at least they must try.

My eyes fill with tears as I watch it begin--
Her lungs have filled up and panic sets in.
It's coming--it's happening--it's almost here!
In her final moments her eyes fill with fear.

Mom's nurse--God's angel, so generously lent,
Springing into action--the family now spent,
Taking Mom and the family to God's throne in prayer,
Her heart full of compassion, her hands full of care.

Many stand watching at Heaven's open door,
Including the son, she was hanging on for.
Are the kids all in?, she ask's in her fear
Yes Mom, you can go now--we're all here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Colleen...thanks for the memories preserved in your "prose". I love what you've written for all of us!
Jeannie

SUZIE Q said...

Love you mom

Eagle-eye Di said...

This is a much treasured poem you have.It takes me back like it was just yesterday.I remember how our hearts were needing Tom,Nancy and Shawnee with the kids to get in before she left us.Shawnee I am so sorry you didn't make it before it happened.Mom hung in there for us as long as she could before the Lord took her hand and said arise lets go home Barbara.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hi Colleen,
I just wanted to thank you for sharing this post on a public blog. I have come back here many times to read it. January 27th was a particularly hard day for me because it was the day we buried my Dad 8 years ago. (Your Mom died the day before the day that would have been my Dad's birthday in December. So I know as the years go by I will always think of the three of you on that day as I did this past December!)

Heaven is what it is all about, isn't it! So much on earth is absolutely confounding. Things fill our slates that will never fully be clarified or wiped away till we see Jesus.

I pray that in your family as well as mine "all" the children will be safely in the Gate on that final Day!

With love!